Monday, June 2, 2014

Sculpture Project

My sculpture piece is a book carving of the evolution timeline. It is mixed media because I used acrylic paint as well as the book. This follows the theme "tell a story" because it shows the history of man and how man came to be. I made the older adaptations deeper then how man is today in piece to represent time. Each part of the piece is 50 pages deeper then the last going from right to left. 
Artists Create Original Art 
I feel like my sculpture piece was one of my best pieces this semester. It was definitely my most original idea and I am exetremly proud of how it turned out. For the theme "tell a story" I immediately thought of evolution, and the famous timeline of monkey evolving into man. I used a refrence image from the internet but combined it with my own idea to carve a book and paint around the carving.
Artists Solve Problems
It was originally unplanned for me to paint around the edge of the page. As I went along though, I decided to add more and I am proud I did. Another challenge I faced along the way was that it was difficult to cut in very small places. The really thin parts of the picture such as the arms, feet, laptop, etc.were extremely hard to cut out as I got deeper. To solve this I modified some parts of the reference picture. For example, I made the book wider and the feet shorter. I don't think this changed the picture too dramatically and it actually made it more original.

No comments:

Post a Comment